ASCL Course (Alpine Ski Course Leader)
Accreditation and Purpose of the Course
Accredited by Snowsport England, the aim of the Alpine Snowsports Course Leader award is to help teachers and qualified youth leaders shape their professional judgements concerning responsible supervision and leadership of young people on marked pistes they have skied/snowboarded before with their instructors within recognised ski resorts. The course will focus on helping leaders make professional judgements in relation to the safety, learning, well-being and enjoyment of the group they are working with. The award qualifies teachers and youth leaders to lead skiers/snowboarders who are members of a club affiliated to a Home Nation Governing Body or pupils from their own educational establishment.
The award does not train or qualify leaders to instruct or teach in any way.
Who Is It For?
The award is primarily aimed at teachers, youth group leaders and other responsible adults wishing to encourage and supervise young skiers and snowboarders. Snowboarders are now able to attend the ASCL, but there must be a majority of skiers on the course.
Pre-requisite skills/ability level
To gain the award, the candidate must:
- Be over the age of 21.
- Be a qualified school teacher or youth leader.
- Be a full member of Snowsport England (Snowsport England will complete your registration for you).
- Have completed the Snowsport Course Organiser course and have attended a 2-day HSE approved First Aid course. We offer a 2-day First Aid in the Outdoors course and a 1-day SCO course at our offices in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.
- Have organised or assisted in the organisation/leading of at least three alpine school/youth snowsport trips.
- Candidates should be able to ski/snowboard rhythmically linked steered turning in good control, showing good balance and technique and appropriate use of the equipment. They should show appropriate choice of line, speed and terrain. This turning will be made on varied runs and in varied snow conditions and appropriate to leading groups down a slope. In the case of skiers the skis will be parallel throughout the majority of the arc. (Rhythmically linked means that one turn will flow directly into the next without any traverse or straight line or undue skidding). Candidates who are uncertain of their performance level are advised to seek an informal assessment at their local slope.
- It is unlikely that candidates will have reached the required level of performance with less than six weeks experience on snow and without tuition. Candidates must be able to ski/snowboard for a least 6 hours a day for 6 consecutive days. The latter is to ensure that they have the basic ability and fitness to complete the practical part of the course satisfactorily and meet the ‘International protocols’ for coaches working ‘abroad’
- Return executive coach travel from Dover where discounted parking is available (call for details)... or
- Book and pay for your own flights. We'll pick you up from Turin or Geneva airport... or
- If there is a coach pick up closer to your home on the date in question, we'll offer you a regional pick up free of charge.
- Breakfast en route to and from resort (coach travel only).
- Snack lunch on arrival (coach travel only).
- 6 nights half board accommodation at 3* hotel (normally twin share).
- Snack lunch on mountain every day.
- 6 day lift pass covering Pila and Courmayeur.
- All tutor and course fees.
- Ski and boot hire, if required.
- Comprehensive winter sports insurance.
- Snowsport England registration and validation fees.<
This course will run on the following dates:
- - 1st Apr, 2017
- - 16th Dec, 2017
- - 10th Feb, 2018
- - 17th Feb, 2018
- - 31st Mar, 2018
Please note, new dates are always being added to our schedule, so please check back or call us on 01623 456333 if the dates shown do not meet your requirements.
You May Also Be Interested in...
Please complete the form below and we will contact you. Alternatively, please feel free to contact us on 01623 456333.
Processing Your Enquiry
Many thanks for your enquiry.
Your details have been sent to one of our team who will contact you with more information about your chosen course as soon as possible. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us on either 01623 456333 or by email to email@example.com.